The New Mexico VA Health Care System and the University of New Mexicoare currently seeking a full-time Physician to join the Psychiatry Service as a Consult-Liaison Psychiatrist. The primary purpose of the position is to provide Psychiatric consultation services for Veteran patients in various areas of the medical center (i.e., Medical and Surgical inpatient units, Emergency Department, Community Living Center, etc.). The incumbent reports to the Chief, Psychiatry Service or his/her designee. The most qualified candidate will possess board-certification in Psychiatry, subspecialty certification in Psychosomatic Medicine, and be eligible for a faculty appointment in the Department of Psychiatry at our academic affiliate the University of New Mexico. Faculty track and rank will be determined based on qualifications and experience.
Responsibilities of the Position
* Promotes consultation/liaison psychiatry relationships with clinicians throughout the hospital.
* Responds to routine, acute, or emergency consultation requests from inpatient medical/surgical units, ICU, extended care, on-site nursing home, and emergency department. Evaluates and provides treatment recommendations for patients in these areas.
* Serves as clinical lead for the Beacon (Emergency Psychiatry and Mental Health Urgent Care) Team Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants.
* Supervision of medical students, residents and psychosomatic fellows rotating through the Consult-Liaison and Beacon services.
* Participate in Attending Call Rotation.
* May serve on clinically appropriate hospital committees, participate in Performance Improvement projects, or engage in approved research projects.
Detailed description settings/ duties of the qualified candidate are as follows:
Our Psychiatric Consult-Liaison Service provides evaluations and treatment recommendations to patients admitted to the medical center's medical floors, surgical floors, nursing home, spinal cord rehabilitation unit, community living center, hospice and palliative care. The Beacon Team provides services for unassigned patients who require urgent mental health care and new or established patient with psychiatric emergencies The candidate would work closely with the Beacon clinicians to provide care and treatment of patients requiring psychiatric consultation in the urgent care clinic, Emergency Department and inpatient services. Candidates must possess excellent clinical skills and the ability to coordinate communication and treatment plans among several specialty services and effectively triage patients and direct patients to appropriate services The candidate for this position also has the opportunity to teach and supervise residents and medical students in both settings.
Tour of Duty: Full Time, M-F, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Functional Statement Title/#: Staff Physician
Fair Labor Standards Act:Exempt
Bargaining Unit Status Code: 1276
- Citizenship of the United States. Noncitizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with Department of Veterans Affairs policy.
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in allopathic medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from an institution whose accreditation was in place for the year in which the course of study was completed.Approved schools are: (1) Schools of medicine accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) for the year in which the degree was granted, or (2) Schools of osteopathic medicine approved by the Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation (COCA) of the American Osteopathic Association for the year in which the degree was granted. (3) For foreign medical graduates not covered in (1) or (2) above, facility officials must verify with the Educational Commission for Foreign Graduates (ECFMG) that the applicant has met requirements for certification, and must obtain a copy of the ECFMG certificate, if claimed by the applicant.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Completion ofresidency training or its equivalent, approved by theSecretary of Veterans Affairsinan accredited core specialty training program leading to eligibility for board certification. (NOTE: VA Physicians involved in academic training programs may be required to be board certified for faculty status.) Approved residencies are: (1) Those approved by the accrediting bodies for graduate medical education, the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) or American Osteopathic Association (AOA), in the list published for the year the residency was completed, or (2) Other residencies or their equivalents which the local Professional Standards Board determines to have providedan applicant with appropriate professional training.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Physical requirements outlined below.
Board Certification/Eligibilityis preferred,as the New Mexico VAHCS is affiliated with the University of New Mexico and is an academic facility.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Physical Requirements:?, Heavy lifting (45 lbs and over); Heavy carrying (45 lbs and over): Straight pulling and pushing; reaching above shoulder; use of fingers; both hands required; walking and standing up to 8 hours; repeated bending; Ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; hearing aid permitted.
Reference: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
All applicants are required to submit the following supporting document type(s):
*Other(VA Form 10-2850 Application for Physicians, Dentists, Podiatrists, Optometrists, and Chiropractors )
Applicants may also submit the following supporting document type(s),which may not be required for all applicants:
*Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs)
*Other Veterans Document
VA Form 10-2850 - Application for Physician, Dentist, Podiatrist, Optometrist and Chiropractor (Available at http://vaww.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-2850-fill.pdf) (REQUIRED).
Please use this checklist to ensure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, etc. You will not be contacted for additional information.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference for 5pt (TP), or 10pt (CP/CPS, XPP, XP), or for Sole Survivor Preference (SSP), on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section(s) provided. A legible copy of your DD214(s) indicating character of service, disability certification, SF-15 (if claiming 10 pt. preference) or if you are currently serving on active duty and expected to be released or discharged within 120 days; documentation related to your active duty service which reflects the dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. Documentation is required for eligibility verification.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents: You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, follow the directions located at the following site: Fax Options. The Vacancy ID of the job opportunity announcement is 1952299.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203-FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.